Information Sharing - Working Group 1
Following a round of discussions from working groups at the High Level Meeting on Capacity Building Coordination for Enhanced Maritime Security in the Western Indian Ocean and Gulf of Aden and Donor Forum, held in Mombasa, Kenya, between the 13th and 14th November 2019, it was agreed that the implementation of the DCoC(JA) shall be delivered under a governance framework that comprises a Steering Committee, a Working Group on Information Sharing and a Working Group on Capacity Building Coordination. These terms of reference are applicable to the Working Group on Information Sharing (hereinafter referred to as Working Group 1).
Working Group 1 acknowledges the Information Sharing Centres (ISCs) in the North, South and East Africa as envisioned under DCoC/JA.
The Working Group will consider the current Information sharing Centres as stipulated in the Code but may also recognize other centres with capabilities in a bid to establish a strong Information Sharing Network as envisaged by the Code.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Working Group 1 shall develop a Work Plan highlighting the short, medium and long term plans relevant to areas of information sharing within the parameters of the DCoC(JA) and submit this to the Steering Committee for recommendations to the DCOC JA National Focal Points meeting for its approval and endorsement.
- Working Group 1 shall monitor the ongoing delivery of the Work Plan, providing reports on delivery implementation to the Steering Committee, highlighting any issues along with appropriate recommendations for their mitigation, at least ten (10) working days in advance of each Steering Committee meeting.
- Working Group 1 shall develop common Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and guidelines to streamline the DCoC(JA) information sharing network and provide these to the Steering Committee for their approval.
- Working Group 1 shall coordinate (voluntary) assessments of National Maritime Information Centres (NMICs) to inform areas of technical assistance Signatory States may require.
- Working Group 1 shall ensure effective programme management consistent with the principles of transparency and accountability.
- Working Group 1 shall provide ad hoc updates, technical advice and guidance to the Steering Committee as and when requested by the Steering Committee.
- Working Group 1 shall follow the decisions and direction provided by the Steering Committee.
More details on the Terms of Reference on Working Group One on Information Sharing can be downloaded below:
Membership, Chair, Secretariat and Convening of Meetings
Working Group 1 will comprise all members that are signatory to the DCoC and eligible to sign the DCoC. The Chair and Deputy-Chair of Working Group 1, will be appointed every two years, by way of consensus of all the Signatory States that are signatory to the DCoC. The Secretariat of Working Group 1 will coordinate and facilitate meetings and the work of the group. The Secretariat shall coordinate and facilitate four (4) meetings per calendar year, and other ad hoc meetings as required, and take advantage of meetings on the margins of IMO meetings, and other gatherings where the Signatory States of DCoC have membership, as well as remote meetings through video conferencing.
Communication and Reporting
The Secretariat will communicate the deliberations and decisions of Working Group 1 in writing to all the Signatory States of DCoC(JA) within ten (10) working days of the completion of the meetings. The Secretariat will promote communications on maritime security matters between the members of Working Group 1, and facilitate the Work Plan through a suitable platform that will make updating priorities and areas for cooperation easy and user friendly.
Decision Making / Authority
Decisions of Working Group 1 will be taken by way of consensus and where consensus cannot be reached, the absolute majority rule shall apply on condition that dissenting views are put on record.
Funding, Resources and Budget
Signatory States jointly with an international partner or donor when the need arises, will be responsible for sourcing funding for participants attendance at the meetings of Working Group 1. The Secretariat will provide logistic support.
These Terms of Reference will be reviewed by Working Group 1 and for further approval by DCoC Signatory States by consensus and thereafter at least every second year. Recommendations for amendments should be sent to the Secretariat.