Friends of DCoC
The High-Level Meeting on the implementation of the Jeddah Amendment to the Djibouti Code of Conduct 2017 held in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia between the 23rd and 25th April 2019 agreed to establish the “Friends of the Djibouti Code of Conduct” with a view to ensuring better coordination of capacity building efforts through cooperation and the exchange of information and promoting complementarity and maximizing synergies between various capacity-building initiatives.
The High Level Meeting on Capacity Building Coordination for Enhanced Maritime Security in the Western Indian Ocean and Gulf of Aden and Donor Forum, held in Mombasa, Kenya, between the 13th and 14th November 2019, supported the same and called for the development of Terms of Reference for the Friends of the DCoC(JA).
Further to the above, the inaugural DCoC(JA) Steering Committee meeting held on 9th June 2020, and the DCoC(JA) National Focal Points meeting held on 26th August 2020, agreed to have Terms of Reference in place applicable for the Friends of the DCOC/JA.
Roles and Responsibilities
- The Friends of the DcoC(JA) shall serve as a platform for organizations and/or countries to exchange information and agree on the co-ordination of initiatives by its members to support DCOC(JA) objectives.
- The Friends of the DCoC(JA) shall also provide an opportunity for interested organizations and/or countries to hear from relevant experts, partners and advocates about the various projects on maritime security, including strengthening monitoring, accountability and the implementation measures necessary to achieve and sustain the aims and objectives of the DCoC(JA).
- The DCoC(JA) Working Group on Capacity Building Co-ordination (WG 2) shall identify and seek donor support from the Friends of the DCOC(JA) in line with the identified needs and capabilities contained in its Work Plan (which is subject to the approval of the DCoC(JA).
- The Friends of the DCoC(JA) shall support the implementation of DCoC(JA) on the basis of mutual respect for the sovereignty, sovereign rights, sovereign equality, jurisdiction, and territorial integrity of States.
- The Friends of the DCoC(JA) shall appoint a coordinator to support the DCoC(JA) WG 2 in coordinating the activities of this group.
More details on the Terms of Reference for the Friends of the DCoC can be downloaded below:
Definitions and membership
Friends of the DCOC(JA): Organizations and/or countries committed to, and capable of making a substantial contribution to, the work of the DCOC(JA). The Friends of the DCoC(JA) is open to organizations and/or countries as defined in article eight (8) of these Terms of Reference. Organizations and/or countries may contact the Secretariat of the DCoC(JA) in writing to request membership of the Friends of the DCoC(JA). The DCoC(JA) Steering Committee shall seek a consensus decision of DCoC(JA) Participating States as to whether to grant the requested Friend of the DCoC(JA) membership. If a consensus decision is reached on Friend of the DCoC(JA) status, the Secretariat shall inform the organization or country concerned and if successful, they will subsequently receive the necessary logistic details for their approved Friend of the DCoC(JA) membership. A consensus decision can be taken by DCoC(JA) Participating States to remove said Friend of the DCoC(JA) membership at any time, following a request to the Chair of the Steering Committee or Secretariat.
Convening of meetings
The IMO, as DCoC Secretariat, shall coordinate and facilitate meetings and the work of the Friends of the DCoC(JA). The Friends of the DCoC(JA) shall meet in the margins of the Steering committee’s meetings, Working Groups meetings and IMO Meetings and other gatherings where the Participating States of DCoC have membership as well as remote meetings through video conferencing. They may hold ad-hoc meetings as required prior to Participating States meetings in support of the objective of the DCoC(JA) and final preparations ahead of the Participating States meetings. Friend who is an approved member of the Friends of the DCoC(JA) may request the DCoC Secretariat to convene a meeting of the forum, through the Coordinator, if deemed necessary.
Communication and Reporting
The Coordinator shall communicate the deliberations and decisions of the Friends of the DCoC(JA) in writing to the DCoC Participating States through the Secretariat within ten (10) working days of the completion of the meetings.
Decision Making / Authority
Recommendations, agreed by consensus of the members of the Friends of the DCoC(JA), shall be submitted to WG 2 for its consideration. Members of the Friends of the DCoC(JA) cannot participate in any decision making of the DCoC governance framework.
Funding, Resources and Budget
Members of the Friends of the DCoC(JA) shall be responsible for sourcing funding for their own attendance at the Friends of the DCoC(JA) meetings. The Secretariat will provide logistical support for participant’s attendance.
These Terms of Reference shall be reviewed by the Steering Committee and approved by DCoC Participating States, and thereafter at least every second year. Recommendations for amendments should be sent to the Secretariat.